The Nimzowitsch Defense packs a punch of surprise right in the opening but has also got a misplaced knight on c6 in most cases.
If you play Black ever in your chess games and your opening needs to have a shock value, this is for you.
Especially if it is a game with faster time control, as with online tournaments these days.
This opening is relatively unexplored—at least not widely studied like the Sicilian or the Central Game—and will definitely help you secure a few full points and add points to your rating.
Also, you need a line with less theory when you want to have fun and still win, right? This opening fits the bill for those occasions.
What you will learn:
- White’s e4-e5 push. Black plays d5. White does not believe in exchanges though. He pushes the e-pawn forward. What to do next? Get the light-squared bishop out and lock it out with e6!
- White’s tricky Nc3. This move can be tricky. How do you play it as Black? Do you take the pawn on e4? Or do you play Nf6 instead? Let Tekeyev show you the correct line to follow with.
- White’s triangle setup. With the advanced e-pawn, White usually goes for a triangle formation with d4/e5/f4. Black will try to break through with f6. Is it good though? Tough choice.
- White’s trickiest move. They say White’s Nf3 is why Black players rarely play this opening. Why? Black does not have a suitable reply to it. Or does he? Tekeyez suggests going for …d6 for a delayed Pirc setup.
- Out of the comfort zone. Tekeyez also shows you which moves to avoid not to fall into the same, old openings… that White prepared for! It’s a tug of war and Tekeyev wants you to win.
Watch the full video with TCW Academy!
Want to get access to the entire library of chess videos just like this one?, the premium membership for chess players, coaches, and parents!
Our platform combines video lessons and training into a complete system, so you can quickly learn and start winning games tomorrow!
You get tons of exclusive content and benefits like:
- Unlimited Access to Academy Video Library [Our Team of top coaches like GM Marian Petrov and GM Bryan Smith is here to help you gain at least 250 Elo points by summer]
- Access to New Exclusive Videos [New videos are released twice a month and PGNs are included]
- Pick what chess skills you are looking to develop and follow your path to Mastery
- Master every skill easily with our powerful quizzing system
- Can’t find a topic you want to learn? Use our ‘Request a Course’ feature!
- …and much more!
JOIN for just $1:
Find this post useful? Share it?